Run Mad as often as you choose, but do not Faint



Sunday, June 12, 2011

Where have all the idiots come from?

     In our attempt to "simplify" our lives we have resorted to all forms of shortcuts, including in our modes of communication. A recent episode of the TV show Bones (yes I love Bones! But if Booth and Bones don't hook up this season I'm over it, 6 seasons is just to long to wait) the Jersey shore-esque kids (suspects) were being questioned in regards to several text messages sent. I can't even remember the inane sequences of letters and numbers, but it made me realize we really do have people spelling out entire sentences with the first letters only: RUFRTIFR! Yeah don't even try...

     Eek! I have to admit I have become a perpetrator of the modern text language but that is getting ridiculous.

     We all have ADD so bad now we can't even say Attention Deficit Disorder!

     When we resort to such sort cuts it's true we get our point or meaning across quicker, but it's also more likely to be misunderstood (how many relationships have problems because people read into the intonation of text messages incorrectly?), and the beauty and nuance of language is becoming lost - something I love and miss coming from sources other than myself. It's also lowering the general impression of intelligence out there...

     Of course this being said, I am a complete contradiction of my own tirade and absolute hypocrite (like most honest people) - being that I have horrible ADHD (yes I take adderall), text my mother YT (your turn) all the time to remind her of our WWFG (Words With Friends Game), and often have music playing while watching a movie, while playing games on my phone, while writing on my computer...but at least I strive for intelligence and the unusual, the beautiful moments in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment